Now Offering PRP and Regenerative Medcine
Jun 29 2018
We at VIMG have been following the science and research behind the regenerative sector in healthcare for several years and are happy to announce that we now offer a number of exciting and promising regenerative options for our patients!
We have teamed up with one of the top regenerative companies in the country called Catalyst http://catalystrn.com to provide our patients with cutting edge technology and products. These regenerative medicines include PRP, 100% Pure Amniotic Fluid and Exosomes to name a few.
In this brief article, we will discuss the science behind PRP and how it helps your body heal.
Musculoskeletal pain is something most of us will experience at least once in our lives. This pain is usually caused by a strained or torn muscle, tendon, or ligament through injury to these tissues, whether traumatic or gradually stressed over time during repetitive disruptive movements. We can all agree this pain has, at some level, affected our daily lives. At Vail Integrative Medical Group, we strive to not only treat musculoskeletal pain, but prevent it from happening in the future. A relatively new and novel treatment that has been proven to heal many of these pain-related conditions is a procedure called Platelet Rich Plasma injections (PRP).
What is PRP?
Platelets are found in the blood and supply a natural source of growth factors the body needs during wound healing. PRP injections are prepared by first drawing the patients own blood, similarly to having labs drawn. The blood is then collected, placed in a specialized kit, and spun in a centrifuge machine to separate the various cells within the blood. After being spun in the centrifuge, the platelet rich plasma is collected and then injected into the abnormal tissue. By utilizing the patient’s own platelets, producing a platelet concentration of 3 to 5 times greater than normal blood, healing processes take place. There is a release of healing and growth factors that recruit and increase the concentration of the cells needed to heal the injured tissue.
- PRP injections are for the elderly. This statement is false; injuries occur in different types of ages through various different activities. Increasing numbers of professional athletes including Olympians, NFL, NBA, and NHL players are now using this treatment to heal their various injuries which enables them to return to their previous high levels of functioning.
- PRP requires many follow-up treatments. With PRP injections, typically two to three injections over the course of six months yields significant improvement in pain levels.
- PRP therapy is risky. Aside from minor tenderness for a very short period of time at the injection site, there really are no adverse side effects! Because we are using a patient’s own blood, this is a very safe and natural procedure.
- Activates and expedites the body’s healing process
- It’s organic! There are no additives, preservatives, or foreign contents being injected; just your blood chemistry
- This safe treatment was first successfully utilized during open heart surgery in the late 80’s and has consistently been used the past 30 years.
Several clinical studies have demonstrated that PRP injections have improved function and decreased pain to many areas of the body with heavy evidence in the elbow, wrist, shoulder, and knee joints. There are more and more studies coming out each month world wide about the effectiveness of this therapy, as the clinical results have been apparent. Recent studies published in major medical journals also show improvement in degenerative arthritis, as well as degenerative disc disease.